Home What's New Message Board
BigPumpkins.com
Select Destination Site Search

Message Board

 
General Discussion

Subject:  Thoughts on percent Heavy

General Discussion      Return to Board List

From

Location

Message

Date Posted

big moon

Bethlehem CT

We are with in a couple weeks of finishing up the season and as the results start compiling, I feel like I am seeing more light pumpkins than normal across the USA. Perhaps its just me and the numbers are right on track.
I have observed over the years, that in Northern Europe the pumpkins seem to typically go lighter to the chart where as perhaps in Sunny Southern Europe along the mediterannean they tend to be heavier to the chart. I am wondering if anyone has noticed this phenomenon or perhaps even taken the time to crunch the numbers. What role does geography and weather play in percent heavy? I think we can correctly assume that %heavy is a factor of more than just genetics. Environmental and cultural conditions must play a part too. THis would make for an interesting discussion, while the season is still fresh in our minds. What are your thoughts on this?

10/6/2026 7:49:12 AM

Little Ketchup

Grittyville, WA

I agree from what I've seen there seem to be a lot of light pumpkins, more so in the middle weight range?! I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing that caused so many splits is also causing light-to-chart pumpkins. Even the ones that have heavy genetics and spent a lot of time on the vine don't seem to be going as heavy this year. Some of these pumpkins that normally might go heavy are only going to chart. I'm open to theories even conspiracy theories. I do wonder if there is a natural & global ebb and flow to, say, the soil biology or charged particles in the atmosphere or something. Maybe there is some non traditional factor that affects plants (and maybe us too.)

[Last edit: 10/06/26 11:02:02 AM]

10/6/2026 10:39:33 AM

Little Ketchup

Grittyville, WA

Scanning the results nothing seems off. As far as the math goes, it looks like the current chart doing great. But like you said some places really struggled to grow heavy pumpkins, while other places had "normal" results. Was there anywhere where all the pumpkins went heavy? A few percentage points could depend on the person reading the tape measure even when making a good faith effort. There are other factors, no doubt.

10/6/2026 11:00:52 AM

Howard

Nova Scotia

Over the years we always thought the cream colored ones usually weighed heavier and that was the "knock" on orange back then because they tended to go light, but recently great to see some HD, orange ones weighing well! Also those AGs with the big large front ends (stem) usually thicker rinds as well. And one more thing if they are ribbed underneath sign of heavy. My experience.

10/6/2026 12:43:03 PM

cojoe

Colorado

Hopefully the growers that have grown on scales can chime in on what we think were seeing and what is happening with inches/weight as the fruit develops. Genetics represent potential but its a complicated process reaching that potential.Very complicated.

10/6/2026 1:13:02 PM

dale

Australia eastcoastcitrus@hotmail.com

Would be interested to see if there is any difference between growing in controlled greenhouse as to outside growers if could be worked out I have had my soil dialed in pretty good the last number of years and I generally go over chart wonder sometimes we get morning's after pollinating and it's still a bit cold and then quite hot in the day you end up with sometimes a big temperature variation over the 24hours or a cold spell and the numbers drop off taping the vine doesn't seem to be affected but the fruit does sous it growing inside more than externally during weather variations as apposed to a controlled environment patons generally go pretty close to chart Matt d had one very heavy to chart grown inside which goes against my thoughts but a comparison would be interesting

10/6/2026 5:08:23 PM

Maurice

Sainte-Catherine-de-Hatley, Quebec, Canada

Maybe the smog this year?

10/6/2026 6:18:06 PM

DKrus

Cheshire Ma USA

Many times it depends on the people measuring them at a weigh off.

10/6/2026 9:31:02 PM

pumpkinpal2

C N Y

...or in the patch, lol. If a fruit is big on one end and narrow on the other, it most-likely, IMHO, had a less-than-perfect drink of nutrients at some point and a ramping-up is needed to full-fill that fruit. (Please transfer that thought to ANY fruit.) Lacking growth might not be visible - measuring the 'SHELL' will elevate one's perceived estimated weight and the mass within might also be showing any deficit - butt only at the scale(!). Case in-point >>> I had two fruits in like 2023 I think that each grew fat on one...well, as above, and once I got my act together and started making lo.., err, it up to them, they each started filling out and although neither was of reputable weight, (434 and 306) they still kept growing and went on to be sold and the seeds were gotten back from them. In summation, a nutrients increase up to the end and not holding off due to multiple rainy days is key, IMHO. Oh, no worries - *I failed at that advice this year, myself, lol, (Darn that fertilizer $hipping $ uptrend!) although I could frequently be seen right after a rain, overhead-Whizzering away!.
All the best---eg

GOOD thought, Maurice - Sunlight is vital and days on-end with it partly snuffed out is certainly suspect---eg

[Last edit: 10/07/26 2:36:03 AM]

10/7/2026 2:21:43 AM

big moon

Bethlehem CT

Very true little ketchup and Dkrus. The person measuring could skew the numbers significantly.

10/7/2026 7:49:49 AM

Total Posts: 10 Current Server Time: 10/7/2026 9:49:48 AM
 
General Discussion      Return to Board List
  Note: Sign In is required to reply or post messages.
 
Top of Page

Questions or comments? Send mail to Ken AT bigpumpkins.com.
Copyright © 1999-2026 BigPumpkins.com. All rights reserved.